Pages

Monday, May 19, 2008

So I'm Kind of Sort of Almost Going to Be a Grandmother Tomorrow

I suppose technically the child of my ex-stepdaughter is not my grandchild, but "ex" and "daughter" don't really work well together, even if there is that pesky prefix involved. When you've sewn a child's curtains and made her breakfast and taught her to write her name and later helped her fill out her first job application, when you've walked her to the door the first day at a new school (and been shocked that, at thirteen, she kissed you goodbye in the hallway) and cheered her on during swim meets, there's no end to that.


At seven, holding on to MY baby...watch this space next week for pictures of her cradling her own.


Her ninth birthday, at Discovery Zone.


Creeping up on adolescence (with brother Matt, cousin Branden and my daughter)



And all grown up...I'm still not quite sure how this happened, how we got here from homemade Power Ranger pillows and Barbies and even N'Sync and summer jobs and teenage boys at the door.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Setting the technicalities aside, you are going to be a grandma. That's really wonderful. Best wishes to you, the young mom and the tiny one too. :)

Lord, I want to be whole said...

lovely story & pictures...I wish all of you the very best on this new adventure!

Anonymous said...

How do they get there? I wondered that myself about my nephew some 18 months ago, when he became a father. Time marches on inexorably, and life seems to be irrepressible.

Miss Shirl said...

Congradulations! If you acted like her mother you are her mother. Lucky girl to have someone to guide her through childhood.

Nardeeisms said...

I'll just say that this is simply sweet! Nothing short of wonderful! - Nards

Seasoned By Grace Designs said...

You are one awesome woman! Mothering a young girl. Her baby will be proud to call you grandma, grandmother, grandmama, grandy, grams, grammy, gammy, gams, etc...You not only made a wonderful mom, you are gonna be a ultimately fantabulous grandmother! And it will be fun!
Wow, And such a young grammy too!

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

I am very delighted for you. Be happy.

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

I am very delighted for you. Be happy.

Azure Accessories said...

Congratulations and best wishes to you and yours...enjoy every second as you know time goes by too quickly!!!
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your "daughter". Kinda makes your heart sad and happy.

absolutelytrue said...

I agree, there's no ex to daughters of any kind.

Can't wait to see the baby pictures. They are so sweet before the mouth develops the ability to talk back.

Unknown said...

You are right there is no ex in real relationships. It takes extra love to make a blended family work. Thank heavens she had someone who was willing to give it.
Congratulations!!! May all go well and may this blessing bring you even closer as a family.

Jolly Green Girl said...

Congrats!!!! I just had my baby and it feels incredible. I am sure you will feel the same being a grandmother. What a blessing :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Us flowers admire you - a great, great, great gran before you're 100!!

LOL - thanks for sharing this.

GO! Smell the flowers

Meghna said...

That is really great. Congratulations and best wishes to your family.