Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Reclaiming the Small Pleasures

I just set my alarm for 7:00 a.m.

Now, to some of you that might sound pretty ordinary, and to a few it might even sound early. For me, though, it's a tremendous luxury. For the past two years, if I wasn't out of the house by 7:00, I was running late. Under ideal circumstances, I'd catch the 6:47 train. All this meant that I was dragging my poor child out of bed at 6:30 (or sometimes earlier) and dropping her off at my mother's house, where she'd have about two hours to kill before she had to leave for school. Long days for an 11-year-old, especially since I wouldn't come back around to pick her up until about 7:30 p.m.

So she's sleeping now. Her clothes are all ready for tomorrow and her homework is packed up in her backpack, and at 7:00 I'll get up and turn the heat up and get her breakfast started before I wake her up. Just a normal morning around the world--or so I'd like to think. But it's a whole new world over here. So I'm off to...read a book. Or email an old friend I need to catch up with. Or write an old-fashioned letter...or a short story...or any one of a hundred things that haven't seemed like an option for as long as I can remember.

No comments: