Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Unemployment is Good

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited to start my new job tomorrow. And it isn't as if I've been hanging out on the chaise longue eating bon bons (what are bon bons, anyway?). I've been tying up loose ends, cleaning my house, rearranging for my office equipment, ordering a second phone line and some wireless thingy that will let me network my computers...but it's been three days and my blood pressure has dropped almost thirty points. And, you know, it's 9:25 p.m. and my kid is in bed. And I'm reading a novel.

Of course, things are slated to kick into very high gear tomorrow, but they'll be kicking into high gear right here in my own kitchen. Since it's my first day at a new job, I thought I'd better plan my clothes ahead of time. It took some consideration--after all, I'm going to be working with a lot of very talented people in this new position--but I finally decided on my new red velour sweatsuit.

For the afternooon, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sense of appreciation you show in these and the preceding posts reminds me that too often I am ungrateful for the time I have to work at home. Sure, I'm underpaid and poor, but my current occupation does offer other compensations. They don't pay the bills, but they offer peace of mind in other important ways. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Anonymous said...

(digging into my stash and offering you a Ferro Rocher dark chocolate bon-bon (a scoop of ganache surrounding a hazelnut with a hard chocolate coating and rolled in dark chocolate sprinkles. these go particularly well with Diane Mott Davidson novels but I find good chocolates go with any good books ;)