Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Birthday to Barb....Happy Birthday to You

Today is my friend Barb's birthday. You might know her, since you're obviously a blog reader. Her blog is So the Thing Is... and she has an outstanding collection of columns online at So the Thing Is...

If you're able to see the humor or would like to see the hope and life lessons in the little ins and outs of everyday life, you should definitely check them out. Or, you know, if you want to see all the latest in GI Joe fashion accessories.

I'm not a big fan of birthdays, at least not beyond childhood. I steadfastly refuse to celebrate my own. But there's a reason that we celebrate birthdays, a reason that often gets overlooked in the ingrained ritual of gift exchanges and blowing out candles. It's not just a day designated for people to sing to you--it's a day on which the people who love you stop for a moment and say, "This is the anniversary of the day something really good happened."

And THIS, my friends, is the anniversary of the day something really good happened. Something really good for me, since I've had the benefit of Barb's friendship and wit and support and many talents in my life for several years now, but something bigger than that as well because of the generosity with which she shares those things with the rest of the world.

Happy birthday, Barb. And congratulations to the rest of us for the gift WE got on this day.

1 comment:

ckh said...

That is such a cool way of putting it.